Skip to main content

Floating through the skies over Cappadocia

When I read in the tour dossier about the opportunity to take a balloon trip in Cappadocia my first reaction was "no".  Not that I was afraid of going in a balloon, on the contrary....I did my first balloon trip in 1982 over the Masai Mara game preserve in Kenya in 1982 and it was so absolutely perfect I didn't think any other balloon trip I did would compare.  I have resisted doing another one until now....

I initially said no when asked if I wanted to take the balloon flight but our tour leader Kiymet talked me into it by saying it was the highlight of most of the group members' trips.  Sold!  I didn't tell any of my family or friends I was doing it as I didn't want anyone to worry or else tell people and then have the flight canceled as of course it's highly dependent on weather conditions.  In fact our first attempt was canceled due to bad weather...however Kiymet worked her magic and we managed to get on the next day due to a group canceling. 

So the following is how I spent my Easter Sunday....we were picked up at 5:45 and taken to the balloon company's offices where we paid, had some coffee and a light breakfast and were handed a sheet with safety instructions on.  Then we were loaded into vans and off we went.  I think we were in more danger on those drives to and from the balloon sites (due to rough roads and fast driving) than we were on the balloon flight.  As we drove we could see a huge number of balloons in the sky - our pilot told us there were about 140 balloons up that morning.  Wow! (I have used that word a lot in these past two weeks...)

As we drove up this is what we saw...

Look awkward getting in the basket? ....you should have seen me...not a pretty sight but I did it in my own unique way

And we were off! 
 





Pure bliss....so quiet and peaceful up there...

looking up to the centre of the balloon....







There we are!!! 
 
 

Our basket held sixteen people and was divided into quarters,,,can you believe we landed up right on this platform?
 
Champagne after a balloon ride is traditional but this had a kick to it - pomegranate juice mixed in.  Delish!

And this folks is our balloon all folded away until the next flight....
 
I absolutely loved the flight despite the rocky beginning and ending due to my knees...damn them) We had to assume a higher squat position for landing and okay I squatted but ended up sliding down still in the squat position  - the pain was excruciating and then trying to get up when you are crowded and have nothing to hang on to....well if you have knee pain you will understand, if not...well just roll your eyes and read on.  Another humiliating moment but maybe this is the wake up call I need to lose weight which would help the knee situation at least a bit....anyway I managed to get up thanks to the others helping me. (and my knees were back to their normal grumpy selves a few minutes later)  Getting out of the basket was not quite as humiliating as getting in....done again in my own unique way.  Now that I've down it twice though I think that's it for me....thirty plus years ago of course getting in and out of the balloon basket was a piece of cake. 
 
How did it compare to Kenya?  Not even close but still wonderful....I am so glad I did it and if you ever find yourself in Cappadocia, Turkey (and you should) you must do the balloon ride!!!  Thanks again to our awesome leader Kiymet for getting us on the flight. 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more